Member of the EVE Tweet Fleet

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Well that didn't last long

And poof goes my ratting BS. Got hung up on an asteroid trying to get back to a populated system when a tight roaming gang came by and poof goes my ratting BS. Sad part is I would have made it if I hadn't gotten hung up. Ah well. Insured and mostly T1, it's back to high sec for a bit of mining to replace it. The 3mil for getting podded (new medical clone) was chump change really.

Note to self. Hunt down a POS in that system and make sure I can get in the shields next time. In the end that ship was lost to my own stupidity more than to a rather well run T2 roaming gang. Although the professionalism of the roaming gang is to be commended. They nailed me to rights. Ah well it's a learning experience.

6 comments:

Benoit CozmikR5 Gauthier said...

It's a lesson I learned the hard way too: if the rats are all stuck in the 'roids, leave 'em be, unless they are 1.5+mil BSes and you can gank 'em from a distance, which I don't.

My best advice was given to me by Madcoy. Get in a fast ship (Rifter, Vigil, or inty) and make warp-to tacticals about 200km above the belt warp-in point. That way you can see what's in the belts without attracting too much rat attraction, but sometimes they spawn right next to you (this can be bad if you get webbed/scrammed).

Kirith Kodachi said...

What was your ratting BS?

For me, if I'm ratting in a BS I try to stay out of the asteroids, so long range weapons like Rails and Cruise Missiles are my preference.

Benoit CozmikR5 Gauthier said...

He had a Typhoon...

One other thing you can do when the rats are in the rocks is to sit on the warp-in point and do the Neo "come get some" gesture. If the rats have trouble getting out of the rocks then kill 'em for the bounty but forget the loot, unless it's Dread Guristas (in your case, Domination in mine) or officer spawns.

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad, those damn gangs come through all the time. I've had some close calls myself.

If you're in 6L, you're always welcome to chill at our POS ;)

Anonymous said...

The only tip you need when ratting in hostile systems....always align to the sun and warp to your safespot...you did make a SS off the sun's grid didnt you? try 600 KM or so

Letrange said...

Actually I'm thinking of changing my ratting phoon around a bit. Didn't like the close range thing. And yep although I did have a safe spot it wasn't a great one. Should have diverted to it when the hostiles got in system. Like I said, pay the clone upgrade isk and learn.